Reflectivity and GISANS at Uppsala University
English Course Title: Reﬂectivity and GISANS
Svenskt Kursnamn: Reﬂectivity and GISANS
Credits: 3 hp
Due to very few registrations, this course has been postponed.
More information will come!
Educational Level: Third Cycle
Subject Area: Neutron Scattering
Grade Scale: Pass/Fail
The didactic idea behind the course is based on using the scientific literature as well as hands on training. Besides the knowledge on scattering techniques, the students will obtain training and knowledge on transferable skills such as: Pitching scientific ideas in written and verbal form, metaphysics (meta-analysis) as well as preparing and giving talks. By having a break during the mid day allows the students to digest the morning session and enhance the learning outcome of the afternoon session.
Topic oriented syllabus. Reflectometry, off-specular scattering, GISANS, magnetism, hydrogen in materials, soft matter, rheology, dynamics, phase transitions, designing experiments, evaluation of data, statistical analysis, fitting data and simulations of data.
What you need to do:
- Downloading and installing appropriate software on personal computer. Obtaining first orientation of how to use the software by trial and error utilising instructions.
- Download and read selected published papers on the use of the techniques involved. Write a short summary of the range of use including resolution, sensitivity etc. Maximum number of pages is defined.
- Participate in lectures
- Use simulation and fitting programs (obtaining hands on experience)
- Participate through discussions and analysis of experimental data and simulations
- Proposal for an experiment including simulations and statistical analysis
- Popular science description of neutron related experiment/results (1 page).
Team: Björgvin Hjörvarsson, Hartmut Zabel, Tom Hase, Gunnar Pálsson, Max Wolﬀ
The school starts on Monday, September 12 at lunch and ends Saturday, September 17 at lunch (departure 13.00 from Odalgården).
NOTE! You will have to pay for your own accomodation and food when you leave on Saturday. Odalgården accepts all credit cards except American Express. If you want an invoice you need to contact them directly on the email adress- or the phone number below! The venue has a cancellation policy so if you cannot attend please contact them directly and see what the fee will be.
755 97 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)018 – 66 66 00